Finally got out to take some photographs this past week. Saw this scene and thought it may be an okay shot. I’ve taken others of the same area during fall and summer and from a different position. Wish I had taken the time to move about and try another perspective. Well there is still some winter left, might get another shot.
Another one from a few weeks ago when I went out with a prime lens to see what I could photograph. Not that nice of a day, but that is normal for winter around here. Typically we don’t have a lot of snow and we normally left with the dull browns and grays. The blue/gray of the sky gives you an idea of what the overall temperature in the scene, and I avoided warming it up in Lightroom so I could capture the cold late afternoon. Finally, As you eye moves from the bottom center towards the top you can see the flock of Mallards that were hanging about.
Another photograph from a couple of weeks ago. This is one of the few that I took of the leaves on the other side of the river.
I was finally able to get out and take some photographs and try a few new things. The picture above is from the Monocacy River, which is by where I live. I had recently purchased a 10 stop ND filter and was finally able to try it out. The photograph is actually a composite of two photographs. The upper part was taken at an exposure of 1/100 sec to freeze the leaves on the trees as it was windy. The lower, water and tree trunk, were taken at an exposure of 8 seconds to blur the water. I then blended the two in Photoshop to get the final image. This was the first time I blended two photographs.
In the past few years I have acquired some old film cameras from relatives. Initially I was just going to try to sell them, but found that most of them were not that valuable. So recently, last 2-3 months, I’ve done some research into taking photos on film. One of the cameras that I had was a Ricoh Diacord G TLR and since it was a format that I was not used to I chose it to try first. The first roll of film was a learning experience, with both film and camera. While I had cleaned both sides of the lens, the pictures that came back were blurry and not very focused. I did some more research and found out that the area between the front and back optics also needed to be cleaned. After cleaning the lens again and reading the cameras manual, I had also made some errors in using the camera. The picture above is from the second roll that I took. Much of the problems I had from the first roll have vanished, and now I just have to work on composition and exposure.